Saturday, January 23, 2010

Miscellaneous

April 7, 2010

I heard on the radio a few weeks ago that Lady Gaga was set to break a record. I thought that maybe she was going to put on some regular clothes, but instead it had to do with sales figures.


November 4, 2008

Today I tested a scientific theory: That changing lanes in traffic really doesn’t get you that much farther ahead. (I didn’t set out to test it, I was just running late.) It may not make much difference in a traffic jam on the highway, but on regular streets it can make the difference between getting through a light or sitting still for 2 minutes. My conclusion: If I don’t piddle around so that I leave late, I won’t have to worry about it.


May 28, 2009

Driving home the other day I wondered if the driver ahead of me realized the irony of having a bumper sticker saying, “Jesus for Life”, while inciting other drivers to homicide by driving 15 miles under the speed limit on a busy two-lane, no-passing road.



January 21, 2009


The Superbowl is coming up. I wonder when the people in charge of half-time entertainment will realize that people born after 1950 can sing, too. In the last few years we’ve had the Rolling Stones, Tom Petty, and this year Bruce Springsteen. I’m going out on a limb here, but I’ll bet that even people born after 1980 would be good entertainment.



September 9, 2009


Some people were upset that President Obama wanted to address schoolchildren in a speech to be televised at schools. Brainwashing incarnate, they fear. I don’t think they needed to worry. Anybody who thinks that schoolkids will listen to ANYBODY speak for 20 minutes obviously doesn’t know them very well.


November 1, 2009

I always say I’m going to take my camera around and photograph signs I think are funny or interesting. At the beginning of the recession, Jiffy Lube’s marquee said, “Things will get better.” Another company last month had, “Boss in town, help us look busy.” And I passed another store that had stenciled in the window “Gun permit forms” and under that a paper banner that said, “DIVORCE KITS.”

No comments: