Tuesday, June 21, 2016

A Job Priority

June 20, 2016

An article by Vick Amsinger in the June 5, 2016 St. Louis Post Dispatch argues that the people who are concerned with the entire organization and create the capacity to take on more work are the most appreciated/promoted.

When I say “take on more work”, I don’t mean that they add more to their days. The author sensibly suggests ways to cut down on tasks (or distractions like social media) that employees don’t need to be performing, so that they can take on the new tasks and still get out of work on time.

I like her approach. I just have one caveat.

Since most of my readers are personally known to me, I know that they all give it all they’ve got on the job. They are concerned with the entire organization. And you know which ones get valued/promoted?

The best schmoozers.

Look around at any business, from retail to education to Wall Street, and you’ll find out it’s true.

When I say, “Schmooze,” I don’t mean, “Bring coffee” or “Be a Yes-Person.” I mean, find common ground. Even if your personalities are completely different, and you don’t like any of the same movies or leisure activities, you can turn that into a way to (nicely) find complementary angles on any discussion.

Don’t take it for granted that just because you are excellent at your job, you’ll be appreciated, or that you’ll be promoted over the worthless charmer. I’m sorry to say that that rarely happens. Look at it this way: If you’re going to promote somebody to your level, where you’ll have more interaction with them, you’ll want it to be somebody you’re familiar with, that you’re more comfortable with—someone that you actually know. Right? So that’s what happens.

So add one more task to your day: Schmooze.



No comments: