Thursday, May 23, 2013

The Rocky Road to (Fictional) Romance



May 23, 2013



Mystery Book Club tonight. At the last meeting I announced that I had finally figured out what bogs down so many series, both book and TV: Relationships! Writers don’t feel like you’re getting your money’s worth, even if the point of the book is to solve a mystery, unless people are constantly trying to find THE ONE. Or, if they’ve found him/her, the road to romance must be rocky.



Well, here’s a news flash: I don’t care.



It stands to reason that during the course of a book or series people are going to meet people they want to date; that’s fine. If they want to get married or whatnot, that’s fine, too. But you don’t have to focus the entire book (or worse, series) on it. Of the book I reviewed I said, “Somewhere between all these relationships there’s a story. But it was too confusing to find it, so I gave up.”

There’s a reason “Law & Order” lasted so long, and I suspect it was because they focused on cases and not relationships. And I firmly believe that "House" tanked because they focused on his weird relationships instead of on the cases.


OK, got that off my chest.




No comments: