Wednesday, April 2, 2014

A Little White Lie

April 2, 2014



You know that old saying, “Tell the truth and shame the devil.”? Well, I guess it’s situational. 

The Old Testament reading on Sunday was 1 Samuel 16: 1-13. The Lord tells Samuel to go find a new king, and Samuel says that if Saul finds out, Saul will have him killed. The Lord doesn’t thunder, “Tell Saul I told you to do it!” He says, “Take a heifer and say that you’re going to make a sacrifice.” 

I found it to be kind of interesting that even the Lord practiced a little subterfuge every now and then. (Yeah, I know He used to come down in disguise and hang out with Abraham and Lot, but in those cases it wasn’t because He was worried that they’d get the better of Him. This makes it seem like He was actually shilly-shallying.)

That's OK. It makes the rest of us seem not quite so cowardly when we fudge the truth a little. 


(By the way, I got quite a few words out of “subterfuge” during the sermon.)



No comments: