Friday, January 30, 2015

And Heinlein Scores Again!



January 28, 2015

Robert A. Heinlein was noted for dreaming up technology or gadgets in his science fiction that subsequently became reality. So I immediately thought of this passage from Stranger in a Strange Land the other day when I read a column by the You Docs.

(Doctor Nelson is giving Mike a checkup, and has questions for Dr. Jubal Harshaw, Mike’s guardian.)

“Doctor,” Nelson said, almost angrily, “I saw this patient only ten days ago. Tell me where he got those muscles?” ...

“Why don’t you ask him?” Jubal suggested.

Nelson did so. “I thinked them,” Mike answered.


And it looks like we can, too. The “You Docs” column cited a study indicating that visualization can actually help protect muscle strength, even when the muscle is immobilized.

Mr. Heinlein got it right again.



No comments: