Friday, August 25, 2017

Searching for Answers


August 24, 2017

Newspaper website search bars are weird. You can look for an item you swear you’ve seen recently, and type it into their search spot, and come up with nothing.

Example: I saw an adorable picture of a baby rhino in the paper. When I tried to find it in the online edition, I typed in “rhino,” “baby rhino” “newborn rhino at zoo” and came up with nothing.

Today I tried to find the article they’d advertised about ways to use tomatoes. I typed in “Tomato recipes”. Got a recipe for a casserole and a review of some ready-to-cook meals.  I typed in “tomatoes.” Same thing. Got out of the paper’s website and typed “tomato recipes” in the Google search bar. And the first item that came up was (drumroll, please)…The Post-Dispatch article on 20 ways to use tomatoes, dated 2 days ago.

The Boise paper used to drive me crazy for the same reason. What IS it about newspapers and their search functions?


From now on I’ll skip the paper’s search function and go straight to Google.

No comments: