Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Just Like HAL

January 17, 2017

I opened a music app that promises to play whatever songs you like, and let you build a playlist.

So I asked for “The Holly and the Ivy” (this was in December), and it played another song; and it said, “Why we aren’t playing ‘The Holly and the Ivy’” or something like that. Seems they wanted me to get exposed to some similar music first. I guess they figured they know what’s good for me.

It reminded me of HAL in “2001: A Space Odyssey.” (For those of you who don’t remember, the astronaut gives the computer a command, and it answers, “I’m sorry, Dave, I’m afraid I can’t let you do that.”)

And somebody invited me via Facebook to follow her on Instagram, so I hit the icon to follow her via Facebook; it proceeded to spin aimlessly until I gave up and gave it my e-mail address instead.

And people wonder why I’m a technophobe.



No comments: