Friday, March 3, 2017

A Tax Holiday


March 3, 2017

According to columnist Stacy Washington in today's Post-Dispatch, cities that rely on property taxes and not an earnings tax fare better in terms of population growth, housing values, and business retention. Seems odd to me, but who am I to argue with the experts? (The earnings tax in St. Louis is 1%. And we didn’t consider it when we decided to live in the suburbs; we considered the cost of housing.)

I'm waiting for someone to come up with a rebuttal.

In the meantime, since so many of our politicians keep harping on cutting taxes, I say we should declare a tax holiday: Any services that are paid for by taxes should take a holiday. We could keep our kids home from school, because there would be no teachers; go on a crime spree without worrying about the cops; and not have our commutes delayed by those pesky road crews filling in potholes.


Who’s with me?

No comments: