Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Why I Love Jennifer Crusie


November 25, 2017

…Gwen turned to look at Clea Lewis, lovely as a spring morning, if spring had been around for forty-odd years, but had taken really, really good care of itself.

(From Faking It by Jennifer Crusie)

There are writers, there are funny writers, and there’s Jennifer Crusie. In a way, she spoiled me for reading anybody else. Some of her books are standard romances, but the characters and the writing are so funny that you don’t even notice.

I picked up Getting Rid of Bradley because the setup (a guy who doesn’t show up for his divorce) reminded me of someone I know, and I got tickled. I read another book and got hooked.

Not all of her books are good, and some you have to read twice to appreciate. I didn’t think much of Agnes and the Hitman the first time, but about a year later I read it again, and it became my favorite. But if you’re a beginner, Getting Rid of Bradley and Strange Bedpersons are a great way to start.

Full disclosure: I really hate the sex scenes, but at least they’re contained to a few pages, so I can just flip right past them.

So if you’re in the mood for a laugh, or if your own writing needs a pick-me-up, try Jennifer Crusie.


“That’s not the name on your birth certificate, right?” Agnes said, not sure. The Thibault clan didn’t seem to be wound real tight; it was entirely possible that Three Wheels had a cousin legally christened Steel-Belted Radial.

(From Agnes and the Hitman)


No comments: