Friday, January 12, 2018

Weather and Retail


January 11, 2018


Random Retail Rambling:


I don’t know about anyone else, but the January thaw often gets me into a mini spring-cleaning mood. Except that, instead of cleaning, I think of replacing old sheets and towels, and sort of spiffing up the joint.

Well, the thaw has come and gone, with nary a new towel in sight. That’s the trouble with the January thaw. It’s unpredictable. If you’re a retailer, you don’t know when to plan your white sale.

However: The next time that is a fairly sure bet for good weather is around President’s Day.

Retailers have sales on President’s Day, of course.

So if I were a retailer, I would lay the groundwork early, and encourage people to make their inventories during the thaw (whenever it might happen), with the promise of a blowout white sale/home décor sale for President’s Day. If other people are like me, except motivated, the retailers could clean up.


Who knows? It could work.


No comments: