Wednesday, September 5, 2018

A Strange Reticence



September 5, 2018


The archbishop of St. Louis is offering full cooperation into investigations of sexual abuse by priests. This is the same guy who impeded, stonewalled, and outright lied when he was in charge of investigating cases in Minnesota. More out of spite than from any real desire to do good, I sent a letter to the paper pointing this out.

It wasn’t a very impressive letter—two sentences, and a link to the Post-Dispatch’s own article from a few years ago. So I wasn’t surprised that the paper didn’t print it; what does surprise me is that they haven’t printed any others like it, either. I can’t be the only person who remembers this, and I would have bet that other people would write in to point out the complete turnaround in the archbishop’s behavior.

So what’s the deal, Post-Dispatch? Are you trying to keep things on an even keel, so that the archbishop will continue to cooperate? Or is the entire region suffering from collective amnesia?


September 6, 2018

Well, nuts. I did write to the paper, and they responded by directing me to a letter that they had printed on August 22nd written by someone who had stated my position, but more eloquently.

My apologies to the Post-Dispatch.


Since blog updates aren’t e-mailed out like the regular posts, I’m going to put this in a separate post as well, to make sure that people who saw the incorrect post get this correction.



No comments: