Saturday, February 6, 2021

Dial It Back, Mr. President

February 5, 2021

 

I was a little annoyed at President Biden when he tried to slip the minimum wage hike into the Pandemic Relief Bill. Why muddy the waters with something you know is going to irritate a good percentage of the legislature, and make them balk at passing a much-needed bill?

I was also annoyed that he didn’t try to target the relief a little more. Some people desperately need that money, but not all people do; so why not make the price tag less by not throwing money to all and sundry? A smaller price tag would have made the bill somewhat more palatable, and given legislators less reason to argue with it.

All this was even more puzzling because he’s supposed to be this great mediator. Instead, it was like he was thumbing his nose at Republicans, and daring them to contradict him.

Or perhaps he was thinking, “They’re going to block everything I do, so I may as well aim high and let them talk me down to what I really want.”

 

If that was his strategy, I hope he hones it a little more. This just looked clumsy. 


No comments: