Sunday, March 7, 2021

Are Human Resources Directors Human?

 

March 2, 2021

 

After I made it through 2 rounds of interviews with a company, both of which I thought went well, and one of which I really enjoyed, I got an email regretting that they had gone with another person, and wishing me luck. I emailed back, “Thanks for letting me know.”

My email bounced back because it was sent to an address that sent out auto-emails. After two interviews, the HR Director hadn’t even bothered to send a personal email. I thought, “Dang, that was cold. And tacky!”

But believe it or not, that’s not the worst that can happen. The worst is when you go through interviews, the HR Director says s/he’ll be in touch, and then never lets you know that you are no longer being considered.


Now, let’s think about this. People who are looking for jobs are often not in the best of situations. They are likely unemployed, which is very stressful. Do they really need the added stressor of being left on tenterhooks, hoping that they’ll be hired; only to realize gradually that it ain’t gonna happen?

What do people learn in HR school? Apparently, it’s not to be empathetic.

One of my friends said, “That’s the real world. Suck it up.”

It seemed like a stupid thing to say. Why not try to make the “real world” a little better for each other? This would be a simple way to relieve a lot of stress for someone in need: Tell them that they didn’t get the job, so that they can stop hoping.

 

Try it, HR Directors. Find some way to connect with people. It’s sort of your job.

 

No comments: