Wednesday, June 6, 2012

This Cliffhanger Sent Me Over the Edge

June 6, 2012


I told a whopper on Facebook. I pretended that the reason the cliffhanger on “The Reichenbach Fall” got to me was that I couldn’t figure out how Sherlock survived. But that wasn’t the reason at all. I couldn’t care less how he did it. And really, there’s only one reason I remember the cliffhanger at all. (As I’ve stated before, normally I forget about a show between one episode and the next, so all a cliffhanger does is to make me feel dissatisfied with a show.)

Since I have far fewer readers here, I’ll confess that the reason it got to me was that it left John Watson feeling so sad. I’ve never seen grief done that well in a movie before, and it stuck with me. I thought, “I can’t believe I have to wait a whole year before he feels better!”

(And yes, I realize that by the time I saw it, they’d written and possibly filmed the scene where he finds out Sherlock’s alive. But it didn’t make me feel any better. I’m a sap. Which is why I didn’t post this on Facebook.)

I really hate cliffhangers.



No comments: