Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Where's Jack McCoy When You Need Him?



June 13, 2018

I was talking with another adult at the pool about how kids will jump over (or almost on) people swimming in the Adults Only lane, just to be spiteful. The really horrible thing about this is that their parents encourage them to do it.

One almost landed on me yesterday. I wrote a letter to the head of the Parks District saying that I understood that the lifeguards might be under a bit of a handicap in dealing with parents who were so clearly not amenable to reason; but that the kids actually might hurt somebody if they are not taken in hand.

I started wondering what the consequences would be if they did actually hurt someone because their parents were encouraging them to be little jerks.

I’m hoping it would involve jail time—at least for the parents. (Lots of community service, at the very least, for the kids.) 

Thanks to all that time I spend watching “Law and Order” I thought up a list of possible offenses: Reckless Endangerment, Grievous Bodily Harm, and Contributing to the Delinquency of a Minor came to mind, just off the top of my head. 


Now I just need a Jack McCoy on my side.




No comments: