Thursday, February 17, 2022

The Spirit of the Occasion


February 15, 2022

 

Here’s a new one: A priest who has performed hundreds of baptisms was told that they were all invalid because he said, “We baptize you…” (heaven knows why), instead of “I baptize you…”. The rule is that you can’t change a single word or the baptism isn’t valid. 

An invalid baptism??? I can’t remember the last time I’ve heard anything so stupid; and believe me, there’s been lots of competition lately.

 

Aaandd—It looks like, once again, people are confusing the ritual with the intent of the sacrament. Jesus, who said, “The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath,” would probably have something to say about the situation. (Like, "John baptized with water, but you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit." No mumbo-jumbo required.)

 

If He has any hair left, He’s probably tearing it out right about now.


February 16, 2022

 

Oh, my word! I just read that if a baptism is considered invalid, so are the subsequent sacraments of confirmation and Eucharist. Just when you thought things couldn’t get any stupider.

 

Reading further, the article says that marriages may (or may not be) considered invalid, too. That’s treading on some dangerous ground!

I really hope that nobody twists themselves up over this. Putting marriages in question is beyond insane. Say it with me: Enough is enough.

 

 

No comments: