Sunday, February 13, 2022

Watching Perfection

February 10, 2022

 

Many years ago, I was watching an ice dancing competition, and was amazed at how well the couples skated together. It was the first time I’d really watched the sport, so I didn’t know anything but that they looked good doing their thing.

 

Then I saw Torvill and Dean do an exhibition skate (it was later in their careers), and suddenly everybody else seemed just a little off.

 

The other night I was watching Olympic snowboarding, and was dazzled by the skateboarders.

 

Then I saw the Kaishu Hirano do his run, and suddenly the other boarders’ runs looked workmanlike (even though they were actually very impressive). It reminded me of Torvill and Dean.

 

Then I saw Ayumu Hirano do his run, and got the feeling all over again.

 

Sometimes, even when you don’t know anything about what you’re watching, you know you’ve seen perfection. 



No comments: