Wednesday, July 20, 2022

Heroes are Temporary

July 19, 2022

 

I just read that the author of Where the Crawdads Sing is caught up in a possible murder scandal in Africa.


I vaguely remember hearing about the book, but it never really penetrated my consciousness. But on reading her name, I realized that I actually heard Delia Owens and her then-husband Mark speak when they were promoting their book Cry of the Kalahari. I even asked a question about something I had read in it, and Mark said, "Oh, somebody who's actually read the book!"


So I was a little sad to hear that this altruistic couple had apparently gone off the rails with their anti-poacher gig. Also, according to one of the real-life characters in another of her books, Delia made the man sound like a wondering child when they were discussing air travel. In reality, he said, he'd flown several times before he ever met her. That bothered me, too.


Shucks.

No comments: