Monday, January 15, 2024

Dump Out That Bag Before You Start Packing

 

January 15, 2024

 

It seems that some air travelers are very forgetful. “I forgot it was in there” was the excuse they used for being caught with guns in their luggage. And 93% of the guns found were loaded.

 

When was the last time you forgot you had a loaded gun in your carry-on bag? It’s not like it’s a leftover bag of peanuts from your last trip; it’s gotta take up some space.

 

I have a couple of questions:

 

Does the gun just stay in that piece of luggage all the time? When you packed, did you just set the case on the bed and start throwing things in at random, so that you didn’t notice the firearm amongst the undies? Did the bag feel a little heavy?

 

Did you remember your deodorant?

 

I was a little concerned, because the article I read said that travelers caught with loaded firearms can lose their TSA PreCheck privileges for 5 years. I thought that should be automatic, not just a possibility. But I checked the TSA website and it says that the forgetful passengers will lose PreCheck eligibility for 5 years. So I felt a little better. But I’d feel even better if they had to skip PreCheck forever.

 

No comments: