Saturday, August 3, 2013

Use Your Head to Protect Theirs

July 31, 2013



Why do parents take their kids on hikes in the broiling sun without giving them hats? It’s uncomfortable even for grownups to be in the sun without a hat, and little kids are even more vulnerable.

While on a hike the other day I saw a little girl whose face was covered in sweat. No hat. So I gave her my hat and told her to go stand in the shade. She seemed to enjoy it.

A few years ago I was sitting in the bleachers at an event. It was 7 p.m. and 100 degrees, and we were facing west, right into the glare of the sun. A little boy ahead of me was driving his mother crazy by squirming around and saying he had a headache. So I gave him my hat, which helped immensely. The mother said, “Oh, I never thought of giving him a hat!”

It’s not rocket science folks. Use your head. Protect theirs.


No comments: