Friday, February 28, 2020

The American Spirit



February 28, 2020

Now that Lent is here, there are lots of fish frys around. I got tickled at thinking about how giving up meat on Fridays was supposed to be a sort of penance for Catholics; but people go out and whoop it up at fish frys instead. So while they’re technically obeying the edict, they’re not suffering much.

Since a lot of fish frys are fundraisers for churches, the Catholic Church doesn’t kick up much of a fuss over it.

I wondered if people in other countries did the same thing, or if it was strictly an American thing. The only person I consulted from another country said it seems to be an American thing.

You gotta admire that “lemons into lemonade” mentality.

Or at least I do.



(Later): After I wrote this, I read an article wondering if ordering an “Impossible Burger” was cheating; it’s not meat, but it has the taste and look of meat (says the article). Some people felt it was cheating on the whole spirit of sacrifice.

I wonder how they feel about fish frys.




No comments: