Friday, February 14, 2020

Use Those Cartooning Powers for Good!




February 10, 2020


Today’s “Hi and Lois” comic strip annoyed me. Lois’s family is complaining that they’re almost out of clean laundry. That includes her grown husband and teenage son, both of whom should easily be able to throw in a load or two.

At first I thought the writers were just stuck in the past. Then I remembered that Ted Forth just made Hilary shovel snow for the first time, and that while the mom in “Pajama Diaries” was often seen holding baskets of laundry, her teenage children weren’t.

And then I remembered the anecdotes I’m still hearing about college freshmen being confused when confronted with actual washing machines.

New theory: The cartoonists should draw Lois giving a laundry demo. Even Dot and Ditto are old enough to sort it.


Then all the other cartoon parents should follow suit.


No comments: