Saturday, August 22, 2020

The Clutter Corpse—A Five-Star Review


August 22, 2020

Dear Simon Brett:

The Clutter Corpse was literally the answer to a prayer.

Sadly, I’m not talking about your masterful handling of depression, which I hope helps people understand the condition better. It really was amazing to see it spelled out so empathetically.

No, I’m talking about all the story tropes you’ve managed to avoid, to wit:

Young woman returns to a (usually) quirky hometown after some life-failure or other; opens a business; finds a body; decides, on the flimsiest of pretexts, to investigate the murder herself; withholds information from the authorities; meets a hunk; dithers for fully half the story (or series) about whether or not he likes her despite the massive signals he’s sending (because, inexplicably, he never gets around to actually asking her out); and does something incredibly stupid at the end to put herself in danger.

Bonus Quibble 1: The same person finds the body, time after time. Doesn’t anybody else in this town ever in walk in the woods or explore old houses? Bonus Quibble 2: Ordinary-looking women marvel that the hunk has fallen for them; neither ordinary nor stunning women ever fall for ordinary-looking men. Bonus Quibble 3: Women under 5’8” complain about being short. I’m 5’3”, and the only time I feel short is when I’m trying to reach items on the top shelf. Never when I’m around taller people. Bonus Quibble 4: Authors these days seem to be unable to use verb tenses consistently or correctly.

But you avoided most of this. I did not gnash my teeth once during this story (although there was one eye-roll moment which I will not reveal to my blog readers).

The “answer to a prayer” part was because I have been looking for years for an engaging story that didn’t commit one or all of the above sins. Some stories are very well written, but either because authors go for the easy kill, or they are strong-armed by editors, they always include the cliched idiocy into the stories. I had about given up on finding books that, no matter how well-written otherwise, wouldn't make me grind my teeth with all the will-he/won’t-he havering.

Many thanks.

(If you could please avoid the Romance Cliffhanger cliché, where the protagonist seems like s/he’s finally going to get things straightened out with his/her true love at the end of the book, only to have the song and dance repeated throughout the series, I’d appreciate it. Charles Paris’s travails in this direction got on my nerves.)

I am VERY MUCH looking forward to the next Decluttering Mystery.


No comments: