Thursday, November 5, 2020

It’s a Good Thing Other People Aren’t in Charge, Either

 

November 5, 2020

 

Boy, I thought I was being tough yesterday as a hypothetical Runner of the Universe, when I said that if I were in charge of it, only the people who refused to take basic precautions would be adversely affected by the coronavirus.

A letter-writer to the Post-Dispatch took it a step further.

Now that urban hospitals are being overrun by patients from rural areas, where mask-wearing is pooh-poohed and not widely practiced, this person says that urban hospitals should refuse to treat patients from areas that don’t have a mask mandate. He’s pretty sure that that would spur mask mandates in those areas.

I understand the frustration, believe me. But I’d hate to be the person from a rural area that did follow safety protocols and still got sick, and then got denied treatment.

 

Guess it’s a good thing that NEITHER of us is in charge.

January 9, 2020


Carolyn Hax has a humane answer to this question:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/advice/carolyn-hax-heres-why-denying-treatment-to-anti-maskers-is-a-bad-idea/2021/01/07/d8c5ec14-479f-11eb-b0e4-0f182923a025_story.html

No comments: