Wednesday, November 4, 2020

Who Deserves It?

 November 4, 2020


“Alleluia, Noel, be it heaven or hell, the Christmas we get we deserve.” (Greg Lake, “I Believe in Father Christmas”)

I’ve never believed that.

I don’t believe it now. I don’t believe that people who tried to do the right thing deserve to get a life-altering illness or a death sentence because other people chose for them, by not wearing masks or keeping their distance or staying away from crowds.

It’s a good thing that I’m not in charge of the universe, because I would make sure that the only people who suffered were the ones who willfully disregarded the rules that could have kept everyone safe; and the ones who spurred on the disregard for public safety by knowingly propagating false information.

 

End of story.


November 5, 2020

 

A letter in today’s Post-Dispatch likens the refusal to wear a mask to manslaughter. I really can’t disagree.


January 9, 2020

Carolyn Hax has a humane answer to this question.


https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/advice/carolyn-hax-heres-why-denying-treatment-to-anti-maskers-is-a-bad-idea/2021/01/07/d8c5ec14-479f-11eb-b0e4-0f182923a025_story.html

No comments: