Tuesday, December 15, 2020

The Good Parts of 2020

 

December 15, 2020


OK, I admit it! I enjoyed 2020.

I enjoyed not having to commute to work every day. I enjoyed not having to work with the 2 people who stressed me out so much; since we all took turns going into the office, I saw them much less, and enjoyed every minute of not seeing them.

I enjoyed not having to worry about my family commuting, since they worked from home.

I enjoyed being able to visit places without having to wait for weekends and deal with crowds. I visited new parks, and took pictures, and was able to take walks in the middle of the day, or nap if I needed to. 

I took virtual trips and enjoyed virtual culture. I even took two virtual yoga classes.

Prior to the lockdown, I had met some new people and I was going places with them, so my social life was starting to look up. I was sad that that changed, but…

Since there was no place to go after the lockdown, I didn’t get as frustrated with my family for not going out and doing things; I didn’t feel resentful about only being able to spend time with them if I stayed home, or about having to go to fun places alone. Kind of a weird thing to be positive about, but there it is.

I actually saw my distant family members much more this year because we got so used to chatting virtually. (Although, to be honest, we had already planned and started doing that before the pandemic hit, so that’s kind of a null value.)

I polished my book, known variously as CEOing for Dummies, The Corporate Culture and Other Business Blunders, and, ultimately, The Troubleshooter’s Handbook for CEOs. Thanks to online library programs, I learned more about what it takes to find an agent and publish a book. (I have done neither of those things, although I have tried.)

I attended a virtual networking event—much nicer than standing around looking awkward, trying to make conversation.

In fact, in the week before Thanksgiving, I actually told someone that I had Survivor’s Guilt, because my family hadn’t been struggling.


The next day I was told that I had four more days at my job, then it was over. So that was kind of a bummer.

And my husband’s salary took a hit, too.

So now, like a lot of people, I walk around with that sick feeling in the pit of my stomach, hoping that I can turn things around financially. 

I’m also hoping that, since the rest of the year was so good, the job loss just means that something better, job-wise, is coming.


I know that 2020 was hard on millions of people. But I’d be lying if I said that I hated it. Because I didn’t.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments: