Monday, December 28, 2020

Did Scientific Method in the Bible Come Up Short?

 December 26, 2020

 

I was looking at various instances of scientific method in the Bible (like Jacob’s selective breeding program, shown to him in a vision by the Lord), to counteract the snarky people who say that the Lord, not science, will protect them from the coronavirus. Because the Lord seemed to have a pretty good handle on science, so maybe people could reconcile the two.

I read Leviticus 13, which talks about isolating lepers. “Aha!” I thought. “Isolation. That’s the ticket. Let the anti-scientists gripe about isolating NOW!” 

But then I read modern articles that say that leprosy is most likely transmitted by coughing and sneezing, and is not really that contagious after all. (Although, in a crowded camp, things may have been dicier.) So why didn’t the Lord say, “Make them wear masks!” instead of making them outcasts?


Now it’s starting to really bug me.

 

No comments: