Monday, March 30, 2020

The Armchair Economist



March 23, 2020


I’m glad that the federal government is sending checks out to people who can’t earn their livings while in lockdown. But that will only go so far.

What kind of relief do people need?

People are worried about being thrown out on the streets, and about having their utilities cut off for non-payment.

I would have explored letting people hold off on housing and utility payments and having the government reimburse the landlords, mortgage holders, and utilities. I would still send the payments that the government is sending to individuals, because they need to buy food while they’re out of work.


No, I don’t know how I would have worked out the logistics, or how I would have paid for it. But that’s where I would have started.

                                                                                                           

No comments: