Sunday, August 20, 2023

Life Imitates Art Imitating Life…

 

August 20, 2023

 

In yet another scene straight out of “Evita”, a newspaper office in Kansas was raided because it published a story that somebody didn’t like; and that person apparently had friends in police and judicial sectors. (“La Prensa, one of the few newspapers which dared to oppose Peronism, has been silenced…”)

 

I hope our political scene isn’t going to take us through the entire opera.

 

(I was going to refer readers to previous posts in the blog, but as it turns out, I only thought that I had included the following remarks; apparently, I only wrote them elsewhere. In any case, I wrote them in 2017. Also see, “She’s Not Exactly Sticking Her Neck Out,” August 10, 2023)

 

February 24, 2017

 

As I read the news, several lines from “Evita” come to mind:

 

Shortly after the new governor was elected, The Post-Dispatch ran an article. One line said, “He hopes to fulfill some campaign promises.” (That was their wording, not his, by the way.) It reminded me of Juan Peron singing, “And when you think about, well, why not do one or two of the things we promised to?”

 

Then, on Donald Trump's feud with the media, I was reminded of Che saying, “La Prensa, one of the few newspapers which dares to oppose Peronism has been silenced—and so have all other reasonable voices!”

 

And finally, there was talk in England about whether or not the Queen should receive President Trump. And THAT reminded me of Evita not being received by King George VI (father of Queen Elizabeth), and saying, “Argentina’s First Lady deserves Buckingham Palace. If England can do without me, then Argentina can do without England,” right before she kicks the English out of businesses in Argentina and sends the economy into a tailspin (according to the show; historical accuracy not guaranteed).

 

No comments: